Saturday, August 17, 2013

Painting Process for "Vintage"

First is the composition. You need to have an idea of what your painting is about. This one about the soft color of the cloth, grapes, nectarines, and vintage glass jar and then adding the contrasting vintage chrome sugar bowl. The background will be lighter than what you see here. I have the finished look of the painting in my head, so I know what the value and temperture of the background will be.



After toning the entire panel with raw umber and ultramarine blue, I rough in the drawing using raw umber.

Started adding color. Note the attention given to hard and soft edges early on. The nectarines on the left have soft edges, whereas the nectarine in the focal point area has hard edges. This is the first application of color. Since I am working on a wood panel (has a slippery surface), I often, but not always, put down a layer of color then go back in after this layer dries and add second layer of color. 




















Completed initial color application to the entire surface.

















Finished painting and close up of focal point.
Vintage
11 X 14
Oil on Linen



Receive my monthly newsletters.






1 comment:

Karla said...

This is beautiful Lois, and I love seeing your process photos!